Tuesday, April 28, 2015

GTA 5 on PC - Awesome Co-op - eventually...

My awesome wife bought me GTA 5 for PC as an anniversary gift. I already own it on my Xbox 360, but I always knew that the PC version will be the definitive version by a long shot!

The game arrived a day late, but I didn't mind too much, since we had some friends staying over and I knew there wouldn't be time to play even if I wanted to. I did the install of the SEVEN discs, and was greeted by a nice 5 gig day 1 patch. Anyway, I let that run and started the game. Yes, this is the definitive version for sure. Indeed!

Sadly, I haven't had much time to put into the game as of yet, but over the weekend I finally got a good amount of GTA 5 in, and my good friend Jayson also got his copy last week, so we were extremely eager to boot up the game and do some co-op stuff! I never played GTA 5 online on my Xbox, so I didn't really know how it works and stuff, but it basically comes down to what they call game sessions. When you join GTA 5 online, you join an existing session which can include up to 15 other random players.

I did, however, see the menu options for creating closed friends-only sessions or invite-only sessions, so we tried doing those. And damnit, it just didn't want to work :( Jayson couldn't join my game, even though he saw my invite and I couldn't join him. We did manage, however, to play together on pre-existing sessions, which obviously included other players...

When you start, there's an optional tutorial section which we both did, and this helped us reach about level 4 with our characters, but after that we wanted to start playing together.

The first couple of things we did was a race here and there, and a few other players joined in as well. We both sucked big time against the guys with better cars and more experience - but, racing wasn't the reason we wanted to play the game together. We wanted to do co-op missions like the missions you do in the single player game, but I couldn't figure out how to do that, because every icon on the map were either deathmatches or races or something where you play against each other...

I hit up Google, and found out that the cool co-op missions only start when you reach level 5. Duh!! hehe...

Anyway, the first night we didn't play too much, only stopping at level 4 - why? Because we spent most of the night just trying to join each other's games - we were a bit disappointed in how much we struggled doing that. We gave up late into the night, and tried again yesterday. We had a lot more time, so we hit up Google to figure out how to get it to work properly.

Once again, it seems that port forwarding on my router as well as our good old fashioned Teamviewer VPN did the trick.

Port forwarding settings for GTA 5 for PC:

For the PC version of GTA 5, you should do port forwarding on your router for UDP ports 6672 and 61455-61458.

Then, get a TeamViewer VPN going between you guys, and it should work a lot better! (here's how to get that going).

How to play GTA 5 for PC online with just your friends:

When that's up and running, start the game as you normally would, but go into the Story Mode first - once you're in the game, hit Esc to bring up the menu, and click on the Online tab. At the bottom of that menu, you'll see it says Play GTA 5 Online - click on that, which opens a new menu with a bunch of additional options, like Go, Closed Crew Session, Closed Friend Session, Invite Only Session, etc.

We used Closed Friend Session (obviously make sure you and your buddies are friends on the Social Club). This means I'm basically hosting the game (I think). Once you're in, your friends have to go to the Friends menu and click on your name and click Join session. This should get you to play together without worrying about other people ganking you the whole time or being mean by killing you over and over hehe :)

So, our co-op experience of GTA 5 on PC

Basically, it's the most fun I've had in a co-op game since we beat the Warcraft 3 Tower Defense map called Burbenog back in 2005/2006. We played about the first 5 or 6 missions given by the NPC's (Simeon and Gerald) and they were an absolute blast! It was what we both were hoping the co-op experience would be. The first missions were really easy, but it got harder rather quickly! The nice thing though, is you can play them over and over again, excellent for trying different tactics or upping the difficulty (gaining more money and experience for successfully completing it!).

I don't have any screenshots to share, but we foresee a huge amount of GTA 5 PC online gaming in our future, and I'm sure you'll be reading lots about it here in the days, weeks and months to come!

Grand Theft Auto 5 for PC is the best version of the game by far. You are missing out if you're a gamer and you're not playing it. Get it, and enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment