Friday, May 15, 2015

I'm now a Part-time Indie Game Developer

The bug has now finally properly sunk it's greedy little teeth into me. After taking part in the last Ludum Dare (where you get 72 hours to make a game from scratch!), I decided to give it a proper go as a Indie Game Developer.

I have LOTS to learn. I've dabbled a little bit in Unity, but now I'll put a proper effort into learning the platform. I have teamed up with my best friend, Jayson, and I'm now officially part of Alister Software. Please click here to Like our page on Facebook

Jayson is the lead programmer because he has about 2-3 years extra on me with Unity development - he's even released his first game, Star Chronicles: Delta Quadrant, which quite recently got Greenlit on Steam! I have seen how Jayson developed into a full on game developer, and it's something I actually always wanted to do - since I was in school in fact!

I'm not bad at programming myself, just need to start grinding and learning Unity. I do, however, have other strengths I can bring to the team, especially with regards to marketing and social media, and I'm a web designer by day so that will come in handy as well. I have been programming for 14 years already (wow has it been that long!), so learning Unity won't be too big a stretch for me.

We have already started with our first game together. It is called "Catch a Falling Star" - the aim of the game is, well, to catch a falling star - you have a basket at the bottom, and stars fall out of the sky which you must catch, with the aim being to see how big a score you can reach by the time you've lost all your lives. It's a rather simple concept, but we're putting a lot of effort in it to make it very polished and nice! Here are a few images to start putting our ideas out there:







It's going to be released on Android, and if we get some traction and make some money with it, we'll definitely launch it on iOS and Windows Mobile as well :)

Extremely excited for this new side venture!

No comments:

Post a Comment